[tor-dev] Next ten Tor Tech Reports

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Thu Aug 9 06:29:25 UTC 2012

Hi Mike,

On 8/8/12 8:13 PM, Mike Perry wrote:
> Thus spake Karsten Loesing (karsten at torproject.org):
>> https://research.torproject.org/techreports.html
>>
>> What other reports are we missing?
>
> Since HotPETS doesn't count as "publishing" perhaps this should be
> listed as a tech report:
> http://fscked.org/talks/TorFlow-HotPETS-final.pdf

I agree.  If it counted as "publishing", we'd put it on anonbib.  But
since that's not the case, let's put it on our tech reports list, or
nobody will find it.

The only thing I'm worried about is that we shouldn't add reports
published by other organizations (here: HotPETs) to the Tor Tech Reports
list.  I'd rather want us to turn your HotPETs report into a Tor Tech
Report with identical content and put that on the list.

How about we put the LaTeX sources in tech-reports.git, change them to
use the new tech report template, assign a report number, and add a
footnote saying "This report was presented at 2nd Hot Topics in Privacy
Enhancing Technologies (HotPETs 2009), Seattle, WA, USA, August 2009."?
 Then people can decide if they rather want to cite our tech report or
the HotPETs one.

Happy to do or help with the conversion if you tell me where your
sources are.

> I'm not sure when I'd actually have the time to write it up (let alone
> do the network scanning analysis), but the output of
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/6135 *could* be one, I
> guess.

Sure!  If you write it up, I'll help with the formatting and all that.
Also feel free to clone tech-reports.git, create a subdirectory in 2012
(or in whichever year you think your report will be ready ;) ), and
start using the template directly.

Best,
Karsten