[tor-dev] Damian's Status Report - July 2012

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Sun Aug 5 17:52:55 UTC 2012

Hi all. My July was mostly spent traveling, both for Defcon [1] and a
couple visits with my family on Vashon (for a funeral and Strawberry
Festival). August will be much the same. I'll be gone...

* 8/8 - 8/12 for Toorcamp [2]
* 8/17 - 9/3 for a family trip

Besides that and cat wrangling for the GSoC midterms, here's the
things I did this month...

* Implemented an ExitPolicy class [3]. Sathyanarayanan did the initial
port of the class from arm, but that implementation turned out to have
several issues (no IPv6 support, masking was incomplete, didn't
strictly conform to the spec) so I ended up rewriting it. The result
was pretty nice...

https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/blob/HEAD:/stem/exit_policy.py
https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/blob/HEAD:/test/unit/exit_policy/policy.py
https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/blob/HEAD:/test/unit/exit_policy/rule.py

* Not tor related, but submitted five patches to ReviewBoard...
  * Re-enabling lexer guessing based on content [4]
  * Supporting dashboard impersonations [5]
  * Better supporting mixed newline types in diff reconstruction [6]
  * Crashing issue when authentication fails [7]
  * Better handle perforce symlinks [8]

* Variety of small things...
  * Skipping tests on OSX that make numerous sockets to unblock
development there [9]
  * Unsuccessful attempt to fix Windows specific date formatting issue [10]
  * Forgot to account for tor's debugger disabling in stem's proc tests [11]
  * Supporting the transport line in extrainfo descriptors [12]
  * Expanding the Version class and tor spec to include git commit ids
  * Variety of pylint fixes [13]
  * Discussion about is_alive() handling and quitting the socket [14]

* Ravi has also been busy, finishing several controller methods...
  * GETCONF support [15]
  * SETCONF and RESETCONF support [16]
  * LOADCONF and SAVECONF support [17]
  * SETFEATURE support, though this one's still incomplete [18]

Cheers! -Damian

[1] http://www.atagar.com/arm/log.php#defcon2012
[2] http://www.toorcamp.org/
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/5454