[tor-dev] Karsten's status report July 1--31

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri Aug 3 10:07:39 UTC 2012

Hi all,

here's what I did in July.  The numbers in [] are the ticket number and
percentage of my total developer time in July.

Best,
Karsten

Briefly looked into Maxmind's GeoIP database that started labeling
relays as coming from the "A1 -- Anonymous Proxy" country.  We'll need
to fix that, or users won't be able to exclude relays by country, and
our country-based usage statistics will deteriorate.  We switched back
to the May database for now, but that's only a short-term solution.
[#6266, 2%]

Made the consensus-health script print out diffs of recommended version
sets.  [#6261, 1%]

Fixed a problem with Tomcat running out of memory on the metrics server,
which was related to Java's leap second bug.  [#6270, 2%]

Looked up the number of crypto operations on a typical relay for
designing a hardware Tor device.  [#6369, 5%]

Started converting the first five old tech reports to a common Tor Tech
Report format.  Zack was really helpful here by writing an improved
LaTeX template and tweaking the existing reports.  [#5405, 8%]

Helped delber write a Python script to compute statistics about current
relays.  This script is the second really useful front-end for the
Onionoo service.  [#6329, 12%]

Extracted probabilities of relays to be selected for a given position in
order to add more graphs to Onionoo.  The next step will be to extend
Atlas to display the new graph data.  [#5755, 31%]

Helped Sathya write a script to extract data on network entropy and
degree of anonymity over time.  Ran the script on local tiny number
cruncher, which kept it busy for 12 hours, and plotted graphs.  [#6232, 14%]

Fixed an issue with too frequent consensus-health messages reporting
expiring certs.  [N/A, 1%]

Extracted and graphed cumulative probabilities of clients selecting
among the biggest k exits.  [#6443, 13%]

Discussed and prepared removing GetTor statistics from all metrics
codebases.  [#6395, 3%]

Made metrics website graph colors easier to distinguish for people with
color-deficient vision.  [#6463, 2%]

Reviewed Walter's new interactive metrics graphs on
http://tigerpa.ws/tor_metrics/ and fixed a few metrics bugs while doing
so.  [N/A, 6%]