[tor-dev] George's status report: July 2012

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Wed Aug 1 22:07:38 UTC 2012

Hi,

this is a list of some Tor stuff I did during July:

- Got #3589 merged in 0.2.4!

- Worked with Arturo on daphn3, an OONI plugin which, given a censored
  TCP conversation, tries to bruteforce the fingerprint used by the
  DPI box [0]. Unfortunately, it's still not quite ready for real life
  use!

- Helped around with the problem of measuring the safety of the Tor
  network [1].

- Helped Brandon with his GSoC project [2].

- Talked with George Danezis about anomaly detection and his automatic
  censorship detection tool [3]. He has many ideas on improving his
  current anomaly detection model but they don't seem to work well in
  practice. I will try to read some stuff about anomaly detection in
  case I can help out.

  Meanwhile, Philipp Winter is interested in applying a different
  anomaly detection model to censorship detection and seeing how well
  it will work.

[0]: https://speakerdeck.com/u/hellais/p/ooni-and-daphn3
[1]: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/research-problem-measuring-safety-tor-network
[2]: http://stepthreeprivacy.org/