[tor-dev] How to best support tor 0.2.3.x in Tor Browser Bundle?

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Wed Aug 1 14:38:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Erinn Clark <erinn at torproject.org> wrote:

IMO this comes down to the question of: Can we make the alpha TBB
branch stable fast enough to have it be useful for testing?  The crash
bugs that Roger mentions make it less than useful anybody trying to
get good testing info for Tor.  So if we think that one can get fixed
in the next release, great, let's carry on.

But otherwise, I don't think it's a good idea to make Tor 0.2.3.x wait
until an unknown number of bugs are fixed on an unknown timeframe.

The reason had I suggested doing Tor 0.2.3.x releases with the stable
TBB for a while (not permanently) is that I personally don't have much
sense of how far the TBB alpha is from stability.  If, once #6492 etc
are solved, it's stable and pleasant to use, great -- but if the
browser remains crashy enough that folks can't actually use it, maybe
we should stick with pairing Tor 0.2.3.x with the current TBB stable,
and letting Tor 0.2.4.x and the alpha/experimental TBB stabilize
together.

This is of course all said without full knowledge of everything that's
going on; there are likely to be important facts here I don't know.

peace,
--
Nick