[tor-dev] Analysis of the Relative Severity of Tagging Attacks

Paul Syverson syverson at itd.nrl.navy.mil
Wed Apr 4 21:33:52 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:28:04PM +0000, The23rd Raccoon wrote:
>           Analysis of the Relative Severity of Tagging Attacks:
>              Hey hey, ho ho! AES-CTR mode has got to go!
>

>                   A cypherpunk riot brought to you by:
>                            The 23 Raccoons
>

> Abstract
>
> Gather round the dumpster, humans. It's time for your Raccoon
> overlords to take you to school again.
>
> Watch your step though: You don't want to catch any brain parasites[0].
>

> Introduction
>
> For those of you who do not remember me from last time, about 4 years
> ago I demonstrated the effect that the Base Rate Fallacy has on timing
> attacks[1]. While no one has disputed the math, the applicability of
> my analysis to modern classifiers was questioned by George Danezis [2]
> and others. However, a close look at figure 5(a) of [3] shows it to be
> empirically correct[4].
>
> Recently, Paul Syverson and I got into a disagreement over the
> effectiveness of crypto-tagging attacks such as [5].

I just wanted to let you know that I'm neither ignoring nor forgetting
about this thread and its ilk, just insanely busy with other things.
It's now clear that I'm unlikely to pick up thinking about this topic
again until c. mid-May. Sorry for any inconvenience/annoyance my
dropping out of and into the discussion may cause.

aloha,
Paul