[tor-dev] Dynamic Throttling in Tor

Rob Jansen rob.g.jansen at nrl.navy.mil
Tue Sep 27 23:41:33 UTC 2011

Hello,

We've been exploring dynamic algorithms for throttling Tor clients.
We've come up with three algorithms that are easier to maintain than
static throttling (i.e. don't need to be reconfigured often), and
produce significant performance benefits for web clients at the expense
of bulk clients. Details are available in our technical report:

http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~jansen/papers/throttling-umntr11-019.pdf

We are looking for feedback and are wondering if these algorithms look
useful to Tor. They have already been implemented, and patches can be
prepared if there is interest.

Best regards,
Rob

--