[tor-dev] Proposal 185: Directory caches without DirPort

Karsten Loesing karsten.loesing at gmx.net
Thu Sep 22 08:49:04 UTC 2011

Hi Nick,

and here are a few comments to your proposal 185:

On 9/20/11 9:34 PM, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> Configuration:
>
>   Add a new torrc option, "DirCache".  Its values can be "0", "1",
>   and "auto".  If it is 0, we never act as a directory cache, even
>   if DirPort is set.

Do these relays set "dir-cache 0" in their router descriptors?  Or do
they just not include "dir-cache 1"?  But if they set a non-zero
DirPort, how will the directory authorities and clients know that the
node doesn't want to act as a directory cache?

>  If it is 1, then we act as a directory cache
>   according to same rules as those used for nodes that set a
>   DirPort.  If it is "auto", then Tor decides whether to act as a
>   directory cache.

What are the rules when setting a DirPort?  Successful self-test and
minimum advertised bandwidth?  How's "1" different from "auto" if Tor
decides whether to act as a directory cache in both cases?

> Consensus:
>
>   Authorities should assign a "DirCache" flag to all nodes running
>   as a directory cache that do not set a DirPort.

Would it make sense to have them assign the "DirCache" flag for nodes
with a non-zero DirPort, too?

Best,
Karsten