[tor-dev] Implement JSONP interface for check.torproject.org

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Sun Nov 6 19:10:38 UTC 2011

On 11/05/2011 06:26 PM, Arturo Filastò wrote:
> I have made a patch to check.torproject.org to expose a JSONP interface
> that would allow people to have the user check client side if (s)he is
> using Tor.
>
> This would allow people to embed a badge on their website
> (privacybadge.html) that congratulates the user of using Tor or warns
> him of non Tor usage with a link to torproject.org.
>
> I can imagine privacy advocates having this deployed on their websites
> or systems that engourage users to connect to them anonymously.
>
> Compared to what check.torproject.org does at the moment the risk does
> not change, it is erogating exactly the same service, just making it
> more useful and flexible.
>
> Basically what it does is check if the ip doing the connection is
> connected through Tor. The web service will reply with a JSON encoded
> array that can be loaded from the user and display in the browser a nice
> looking badge.

I think this is a fine idea - it reminds me of the only IPv6 demo turtle.

I think it's quite ironic to use these technologies to encourage people
to deploy real privacy solutions.

> You can see how this works on the live demo hosted here:
>
> http://hellais.github.com/torcheck/privacybadge.html

I'd suggest that it have an onion and say "You're using Tor" or
something similar - it might also make sense to put it in the web 2.0
web badge format that many companies use.

> I still need to finish the styling of the badge to contain links to
> torproject.org and generally make it cooler.
>
> Also, the check.torproject repo should be moved to svn.

Isn't it already in svn? Shouldn't we move it to git?

All the best,
Jake