[tor-dev] The Torouter and the DreamPlug

Runa A. Sandvik runa.sandvik at gmail.com
Mon May 30 12:48:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 1:01 AM, intrigeri <intrigeri at boum.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Runa A. Sandvik wrote (29 May 2011 23:35:24 GMT) :
>>> Or perhaps we can just turn Tor on by default, ship tor-fw-helper
>>> and write a basic status of Tor out to a static html file?
>
>> Users who aren't familiar with the command line will probably still
>> have a problem configuring Tor. I think that a webui package in
>> Debian/Ubuntu is the best way to go.
>
> Here are my 2cts of the day.
>
> /etc/tor/torrc is currently shipped as a conffile by the Tor Debian
> package. This means it's a bit hard to edit it programmatically while
> ensuring painful and robust upgrade paths.

You may want to look at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1922 (torrc.d-style
configuration directories).

> What are the settings the Torouter user would want to customize?

I think that users should, at a minimum, be able to choose whether to
run a public/private bridge, non-exit relay or exit relay. This means
that users should be able to set the nickname, contact info, relay
port, directory port and so on. At some point, we may want to add a
client mode as well.

--
Runa A. Sandvik