[tor-dev] The Torouter and the DreamPlug

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Mon May 30 00:01:14 UTC 2011

Hi,

Runa A. Sandvik wrote (29 May 2011 23:35:24 GMT) :
>> Or perhaps we can just turn Tor on by default, ship tor-fw-helper
>> and write a basic status of Tor out to a static html file?

> Users who aren't familiar with the command line will probably still
> have a problem configuring Tor. I think that a webui package in
> Debian/Ubuntu is the best way to go.

Here are my 2cts of the day.

/etc/tor/torrc is currently shipped as a conffile by the Tor Debian
package. This means it's a bit hard to edit it programmatically while
ensuring painful and robust upgrade paths.

If the configuration bits that are relevant to Torouter were managed
using debconf (and possibly ucf), not only the webui's job would be a
bit easier to do, but other Debian derivatives (such as the FreedomBox
and Tails) could ship their customizations to the default
configuration as a preseeding file rather than as a full-blown torrc
forked from the default one.

Using Config::Model (Debian package: libconfig-model-perl) would
probably be even better on the long run, but the initial investment of
writing a model might be too much for the Torouter project.

What are the settings the Torouter user would want to customize?

Bye,
--
  intrigeri <intrigeri at boum.org>