[tor-dev] The Torouter and the DreamPlug

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Sun May 29 23:21:00 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Runa A. Sandvik <runa.sandvik at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> DreamPlug is a new plug computer from GlobalScale Technologies:
> http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/c-5-dreamplugs.aspx. The spec
> looks good, it runs Ubuntu by default and it doesn't cost too much. I
> thought that the DreamPlug was going to be very user friendly and a
> potential candidate for the Torouter project. (Maybe) I was wrong.

When the SheevaPlug came out a couple of years ago, it shipped with a
> web interface that enabled users to change various network options. I
> thought the DreamPlug would ship with some kind of interface as well
> (and my plan was to just plug in a Tor page). This is not the case; it
> ships with lighthttpd by default and displays a static and very simple
> placeholder page on 192.168.1.1.

That's great news. A complex web app is just a giant PITA and huge attack
surface anyhow.

> If we want to use the DreamPlug for the Torouter, we will have to
> write a web interface for easy configuration of Tor. The interface
> should probably also provide options to better secure the DreamPlug.
> Downloading and installing Tor isn't a problem, but the configuration
> side of things can be tricky for users who aren't used to the command
> line.

Or perhaps we can just turn Tor on by default, ship tor-fw-helper and write
a basic status of Tor out to a static html file?

> Thoughts? Comments?

The Freedombox will likely run on the dream plug, it's the reference
platform. I think we should work on ensuring that if we ship a dream plug,
we ship a freedombox pre-configured to run Tor - this will likely be the
case with the FB anyway:
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox

Basically Tor needs some kind of webui package in Debian and we'd be good to
go.

All the best from Egypt,
Jake