[tor-dev] The Torouter and the DreamPlug

Runa A. Sandvik runa.sandvik at gmail.com
Sat May 28 21:52:28 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

DreamPlug is a new plug computer from GlobalScale Technologies:
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/c-5-dreamplugs.aspx. The spec
looks good, it runs Ubuntu by default and it doesn't cost too much. I
thought that the DreamPlug was going to be very user friendly and a
potential candidate for the Torouter project. (Maybe) I was wrong.

When the SheevaPlug came out a couple of years ago, it shipped with a
web interface that enabled users to change various network options. I
thought the DreamPlug would ship with some kind of interface as well
(and my plan was to just plug in a Tor page). This is not the case; it
ships with lighthttpd by default and displays a static and very simple
placeholder page on 192.168.1.1.

If we want to use the DreamPlug for the Torouter, we will have to
write a web interface for easy configuration of Tor. The interface
should probably also provide options to better secure the DreamPlug.
Downloading and installing Tor isn't a problem, but the configuration
side of things can be tricky for users who aren't used to the command
line.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,

--