[tor-dev] arm - new identity ...

Damian Johnson atagar1 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 14:57:44 UTC 2011

Hi Dominik. Sounds good, we should keep this simple (at least for the
first version) so lets go with #2 and #3. Developing this should be
pretty straight forward...

1. Add "sendNewnym", "isNewnymAvailable", and "getNewnymWait" methods
to 'src/util/torTools.py'. All of these should be very easy.

2. Add a handler for sending a newnym in 'src/cli/headerPanel.py'.
This is done by overwriting the "handleKey(self, key)" method - for an
example see just about any of the other panels. I'm currently working
on another feature for the header panel (reattaching to tor instances)
so there might be a handler here by the time you start.

I'm fine with F5. From the curses documentation it sounds like you can
compare the keycode to the curses.KEY_F5 constant.

3. Adding the newnym to the header panel - this will be the hardest
part (but still not too difficult). This will only be visible when
we're a non-relay, and involves filling in...
https://gitweb.torproject.org/arm.git/blob/HEAD:/src/cli/headerPanel.py#l259

Normally this could say something like "Press F5 for a new identity",
then after they send a newnym instead display "Building circuits
(newnym signal unavailable for X seconds)".

4. Coordinate with Kamran for the menu option. Maybe we want to
somehow make it disabled while sending a newnym is unavailable?

> - mumble with krkhan (and you?)

I'm looking forward to it. We should be able to set this up next week.

Cheers! -Damian