[tor-dev] Mingw ann non-autoconf build

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Tue May 3 02:51:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Gisle Vanem <gvanem at broadpark.no> wrote:
> I have a question regarding src/win32/orconfig.h. I guess this hand-
> edited file is supposed to be used by MSVC (targeting Win32, WinCE and
> whatnot).

That's the idea.

>  Or? What prevents it from being used by e.g. MingW in a non-
> autoconf build?

Nobody's tried it. :)

> If someone (like me that doesn't want to touch autotool with a ten-feet
> pole) want to use this file unchanged, things like:
>  #undef HAVE_SYS_TIME_H
>
> has to be treated specifically for MingW. E.g.:
>  #ifndef __MINGW32__
>  #undef HAVE_SYS_TIME_H
>  #endif
>
> Same goes for HAVE_UNISTD_H, HAVE_GETTTIMEOFDAY etc.
>
> BTW. Older MingW does not have gettimeofday(). I'm not sure
> when the function was added. So to be perfect, an "#ifndef" test should
> consider the __MINGW32_VERSION too.

It sounds a lot like you're using what I'd call an "unsupported build
environment": you want to build Tor on an old version of mingw, and
you don't want to use our regular autotools build process.  That's
fine, and we're not going to send out the Tor goon squad to go
confiscate your compiler or make you use autotools or anything, but
it's not something that I think we're going to put effort into
supporting.

But hey, it's free software. If you wanted to write and maintain an
alternative set of build scripts to work with different versions of
mingw, that would be great.  I could see merging those if they were
clean and didn't affect the mainline code too much.  I'd greatly
prefer a separate orconfig.h if you take this route: sharing the same
one between msvc and mingw seems like it's asking for trouble.

yrs,
--
Nick