[tor-dev] Proposal 178: Require majority of authorities to vote for consensus parameters

Sebastian Hahn hahn.seb at web.de
Mon May 2 18:43:42 UTC 2011

On May 2, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Sebastian Hahn wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2011, at 8:06 AM, Nick Mathewson wrote:
>> This is possibly bikeshed, but I would suggest that instead of
>> requiring half of  existing authorities to vote on a particular
>> parameter, we require 3 or more to vote on it. (As a degenerate case,
>> fall back to "at least half" if there are fewer than 6 authorities in
>> the clique.)
>
> Hrm. I'm not too happy with this, unless we also include a way for a
> majority of authorities to prevent voting on that parameter altogether.
> Doing the design as presented above would then be simpler.

I updated the proposal without taking into account the
suggested change. If people feel strongly I'm happy to revise
it as I indicated above. I've pushed an updated version to
my torspec repository, where the old version [0], the new
version [1] and a diff [2] between the two is available.

I updated the example implementation to be compatible with
the current code, and changed it to refer to this proposal
correctly instead of 178. I hope that with this clarification on
the intentions this proposal can go into the accepted category,
unless concerns remain.

Below I am replicating the new version of the proposal
fully.

Thanks
Sebastian

[0]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/sebastian/torspec.git/blob/e52b2be829a9a8027c173568b6d841feb3c1096a:/proposals/178-param-voting.txt
[1]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/sebastian/torspec.git/blob/0fe8b85897a8919b2911bedcf475b578b0b67ec6:/proposals/178-param-voting.txt
[2]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/sebastian/torspec.git/commitdiff/0fe8b85897a8919b2911bedcf475b578b0b67ec6

Filename: 178-param-voting.txt
Title: Require majority of authorities to vote for consensus parameters