[tor-dev] First draft: Thandy Package Format spec

Erinn Clark erinn at torproject.org
Thu Mar 31 19:12:24 UTC 2011

Also available here:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/erinn/thandy.git/blob/refs/heads/thp-draft-spec:/specs/thp-first-draft.txt

Title: Specification for a TBB/Thandy package format.
Authors: nickm, erinn
Started-On: 9 Feb 2011
Finished-On:

Introduction

   On some platforms, in some environments, Thandy can use existing
   platform-provided mechanisms for packages.  But for the Tor Browser Bundle, and
   for Windows, we can't use built-in packaging systems (because they put data in
   a database or registry, because they require root).

Requirements, Goals:

   Thandy has these requirements for a packaging system:
     - It needs to be able to install/upgrade packages.
     - It needs to be able to check which version of a package is installed

   For use in TBB, we we need a few more features:
     - It needs to be able to remove packages
     - It needs to be able to leave cofiguration files alone when upgrading

   To use this right, Thandy needs these features:
     - download packages as-needed in the background
     - report when packages are ready to install
     - Have a way to upgrade the TBB as it restarts

   To avoid big problems, package installation needs these features:
     - Idempotence
     - Validatability

     - Spending as little time as possible in non-functional states.  (We can't
       get true atomicity on some OSs, but we should get as much as reasonable
       as we can.)

Nongoals:

   This is a packagesystem for TBB and similar things for use with Thandy.  It
   is not a more general system, a replacement for rpm/deb, an all-purpose
   software distribution mechanism, or a dessert topping.

   This is not the spec for Thandy.

   This is not a spec for interfaces to Thandy. It lists some interfaces that
   are necessary but it doesn't explain how they work.

   This is not the spec for any modes of operation for thandy, interfaces to
   thandy, or a thandy net installer.  We need specs for those, of course.

   Though this document has suggestions on how to make good packages and install
   them well, there may be additional requirements for a high-quality installer
   not listed here.  We're trying to design this system to _support_ being the
   most solid tool it can be, but we're not trying to figure out every possible
   implementation detail here.

Mode of operation:

   While TBB is running, Vidalia should periodically launch Thandy, telling it,
   "Fetch packages as needed" or "Tell me if you could fetch packages."

   While TBB is running, Vidalia should periodically launch Thandy, asking it,
   "Are there packages downloaded and ready to install?"  If so, it should tell
   the user.

   When TBB first starts, it should start a launcher program that asks Thandy,
   "Are there packages downloaded and ready to install?"  If so, it should tell
   Thandy to install them.

   To make Thandy and the launcher self-upgrade, here's a two-step process: the
   install process installs new stuff into a new directory to the side of the old
   directory, and then launches a new "replacer" program to move the new stuff
   over the old stuff.  The replacer, when it's done, re-launches the launcher.

     "It's not pretty, and you can't dance to it." - Frank Zappa

The "thandy installable" file format:

   The file metaformat is a zip file, with the file extension .thp.  It has these directories:
   content/
   meta/

   The "content" tree has the actual package contents, in a directory layout
   mirroring the layout of the installed package.  The "meta" tree has information
   about the package.

   The meta tree has one required file, "package.json".  Its contents are a
   single json object, with the following required fields:

   'format-version'
       The number 1.  An installer SHOULD NOT try to install a package with a
       format-version that it doesn't recognize.

   'manifest'
       A list of files relative to the thp's content directory.  Each file is an
       object with these fields:
	 'name': the name of the file relative to thp's content directory
	 'digest': optionally, a 2-tuple of a digest algorithm and a
           hexadecimal digest value.  The following algorithms are supported: SHA256.
          'length': optionally, the length of the file in bytes
	 'isconfig': optionally, a boolean.  If it is present and true, this
            file is considered "configuration".

    'package-name'
       The name of this package.  There shouldn't be two packages with the same
       name installed at once in the same hierarchy.  Ex: "Tor".

    'package-version'
       The version of the package as a human-readable string.  This should
       include both the version of the thing being packaged, and the version of of the
       package itself.  Ex: "0.2.2.35-rc-7" is the seventh release of a thp file for
       Tor 0.2.2.35-rc.

    'package-version-tuple'
       The version of the package as a list of numbers and strings such that a
       lexical comparison of two package version tuples is a   correct version
       comparison.  Ex: [ 0, 2, 2, 35, "rc", 7 ]

    'timestamp'
       The time when this thp was generated, as a YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS string,
       relative to UTC.  Ex: "2011-03-02 17:33:07"

    'additional-files'
       Optional: A list of files or file sets relative to the install root, to
       decribe files that the package is responsible for, even if they're not
       distributed with the package.  This is used to kill off temporary and cache
       files on uninstall.  Each file is an object with these fields: 'name': The name
       of the file relative to the install root.  This name may contain "*" and "**"
       file-globbing patterns.  'isconfig': as for manifest.

    'install-order'
       Optional: number between 0 and 100 inclusive to indicate that this
       package must be installed before or after others.  Defaults to "50".

    'options'
       Optional: a map from option strings to values.  Known options are:
        'cycle-install': This package should be installed to a separate
         install root from the currently installed package, then moved over.

    'platform'
       Optional. The OS and CPU type that this package is for.

    'require-features'
       Optional. A list of strings naming installer features that the installer
       needs to support to install this package correctly. An installer SHOULD NOT try
       to install the package if it does not recognize and support all members of this
       list.  Ex: [ "pythonscripts" ]

    'require-packages'
       Optional. A list of objects for all packages that must be installed
       before this package can be installed.  Each object has these fields:
        'package-name'
        'min-version-tuple'

   'scripts'
       Optional: a map from scripting language to set of scripts.  Supported
       scripting languages are python2, sh, none.  (We can add more later.)  If the
       'scripts' field is present, the installer SHOULD NOT install the package unless
       it supports one or more of the scripting languages.  Each set of scripts
       contains one or more of the following fields: 'checkinst' 'preinst' 'postinst'
       'prerm' 'postrm' Each names a file relative to meta/scripts in the thp zip
       file.

   Implementations SHOULD NOT generate other files or subdirectories of the main
   zip root directory; implementations MUST ignore files and subdirectories that
   they do not recognize.

The package database:

   The installer keeps a directory that contains files describing the status of
   the packages we have installed.  It has a subdirectory: "pkg-status".

   "pkg-status" has, for each package, two files: packagename.json, and
   packagename.status.  Optionally, it has a packagename.json.new file.

   The packagename.json file contains a copy of the package.json file from
   the most recent successfully installed version of the the package.  The
   packagename.status file contains a json object containing at least the field
   'status' set to one of the following: "INSTALLED", "IN-PROGRESS".  If a package
   install or upgrade is in-progress, packagename.json.new has the package.json
   file from the new version of the package.

Scripts:

   Each script should be callable by a language- and platform-specific calling
   convention for invoking a script with named arguments.  The arguments to the
   script are:

       THP_PACKAGE_NAME
       THP_OLD_VERSION (absent if we are doing a fresh installation)
       THP_NEW_VERSION
       THP_OLD_INSTALL_ROOT
       THP_INSTALL_ROOT
       THP_JSON_FILE
       THP_VERBOSE (flag: "1" if the script should log verbosely.)
       THP_PURGE (flag: "1" if we are doing a remove and we want to get rid of
       absolutely everything.)
       THP_TEMP_DIR

   For sh and python2 scripts, these arguments are passed as environment variables.

   Scripts need a way to signal success or failure.  For sh and python2 scripts,
   this is done via return value.

   The 'none' script type must never have any scripts.  Installers should never
   choose it if they support any other script type: it only exists to tell the
   installer that the scripts are optional.

Directories:

   All installation happens relative to a single "install root".

   Thandy maintains a cache directory of its own, containing (among other
   things) downloaded thp files.

   The thp installer has a database directory explaining package status.

Steps of operation:

   Checking for and downloading packages is done by thandy, and out-of-scope
   here, except inasmuch as Thandy needs the thp installer to say which version
   (if any) of package X is installed.  The installer can do this by looking at
   the X.status file and the X.json file.

   To validate a package, the thp installer verifies that all files listed in
   the manifest are in fact installed with the sizes and digests listed, unless
   they are config files.

   {THIS NEXT PART IS A DRAFT AND NEEDS MORE THOUGHT! IT COULD BE WAY MORE ATOMIC}

   Installing and updating a downloaded package is done by Thandy teling the thp
   installer, "install/update these packages" with a list of thp files. To do
   this, the installer:

      * Grabs a lockfile.
      * Finds the current version, if any, of all of the packages.
      * Runs the checkinst script if present for every package that might need
        installing or updating.  If any fails, the update can't happen.
      * For each package, sorted in topological order by 'requires'
        relationships, with ties broken by 'install-order' fields:
        * Overwrite the status file for the package in the database, changing
          the status to "IN-PROGRESS". Copy the package's package.json file to
          packagename.json.new in the database.
        * Run the package's preinst script.  If that fails, abort.
        * Unpack all files in the package's content fork to their target
          locations.  If files tagged 'config' are present, ignore them.
        * If any files are listed in the manifest for the old version of the
          package but not for the new version, and they are not config files,
          remove them.  (Have an option to override this?)
        * Run the postinst script
        * Replace the packagename.json file with the packagename.json.new file.
        * Change the package status to "INSTALLED".

    CHANGES TO MAKE TO THE INSTALL PROCESS ABOVE:
      - Instead of overwrite-as-we-go, perhaps have overwrite as the very last step?
      - Perhaps checkpoint all files first for easy rollback?
      - Specify how to do the cycle-install feature.

    "Is it... atomic?"
    "Yes!  VERY atomic!"
        -- The 5000 Fingers of Dr T

Future directions and open questions:

F.1 Configuration file updates

   We need a smart way to handle configuration file updates and changes in the
   future. There are several three-way merge tools available that we can model our
   behavior on, or re-use the code of, such as Debian's ucf tool.

F.1 Binary patching

   There are auto-update tools (courgette for Chrome, as an example) which do
   smart binary patching, thus often drastically reducing the download time of
   updates. When the tool is more mature, we should look into ways to do this.