[tor-dev] Improving Private Browsing Mode/Tor Browser

Robert Ransom rransom.8774 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 18:40:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:19:45 -0700
Mike Perry <mikeperry at fscked.org> wrote:

> So perhaps Torbutton controlled per-tab proxy username+password is the
> best option? Oh man am I dreading doing that... (The demons laugh
> again.)

If you do this, you will need to give the user some indication of each
tab's ‘compartment’, and some way to move tabs between compartments.

Coloring each tab to indicate its compartment may fail for anomalous
trichromats like me and *will* fail for more thoroughly colorblind
users.  Putting a number or symbol in each tab will confuse most users.

I suggest one compartment per browser window.  (Of course, you can and
should leave more detailed hooks in the browser's source if possible,
in case someone wants to experiment with a different scheme.)

Robert Ransom