[tor-dev] Thandy and what's next

Tomas Touceda chiiph at gentoo.org
Mon Jun 20 21:40:07 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

Thandy, for those who haven't heard about it by now, in few words is a
package system for Tor packages and the like. One of the biggest
problems we have right now is keeping users' Tor up to date, so we are
trying to make time to get this going.

(For more detailed information about Thandy check [1], specially the
doc/ and specs/ directories)

A couple of months ago, nickm and erinn worked in writing the package
format spec (see [2] for more details), and now I'm going to start
working as fast as I can (which may be slow) in implementing this last
spec and get a working Thandy.

On the more technical side, the idea is to implement this in Python as a
first approach. In terms of distribution, Python isn't the best choice
for platforms like Windows, but right now porting Thandy to another
language isn't among the top priorities.

This will probably be merged with the alpha track of releases we are
making, so this can have as much testing as it can before going to
stable.

[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/thandy.git/tree
[2]
https://gitweb.torproject.org/erinn/thandy.git/blob/934300a7c4c6c0493bedaf0503fb61c45045942e:/specs/thp-first-draft.txt