[tor-dev] TOR control protocol timeout

Damian Johnson atagar1 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 18:18:40 UTC 2011

> you and atagar...

I am atagar.

> atagar's timeout was way too short in my testing.

I picked 20 ms because that's the runtime for fast queries, like
'GETINFO version'. There was a tradeoff in picking the timeout
duration, but since it was within a loop it didn't impact correctness.
Lowering meant more work (looping rather than sleeping on input) and
higher meant a raised shutdown time.

This said, a later change to shut down the socket unblocked the recv
call when closing, so this timeout was removed.

> I have found similar problems and I would like to solve this issue.

All the concurrency issues for shutting down should have been
addressed. What sort of problems are you encountering? Do you have a
use case for reproducing the issue?

> I would like to have readline() detect when a socket error has
> occurred.

A socket error should result in a None return value that shuts down _thread.

Cheers! -Damian