[tor-dev] Too many cooks spoil the broth---or: how about we clean up the wiki?

Karsten Loesing karsten.loesing at gmx.net
Sat Jun 11 06:17:35 UTC 2011

On 6/11/11 6:13 AM, Robert Ransom wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:08:46 +0200
> Karsten Loesing <karsten.loesing at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> By the way, what happens if we rename wiki pages?  I guess Trac will
>> update all internal links, but external links (e.g., from the website)
>> will be broken?  We could fix our own website, but other websites would
>> still be broken.  How bad would that be?
>
> Do you plan to fix links in the mailing list archives as well?  How
> about links in our e-mail inboxes?

Nope.  But we could add redirects for those pages linked from the
mailing list archives and everyone's inbox.  Similar to how we added
redirects when moving from
https://wiki.torproject.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/ to the current location.

> Also, I would expect Trac to *not* update wiki-internal links -- it
> doesn't update ticket ‘components’ when a component is renamed or
> deleted.

I just tried it and it looks good.  So yes, Trac does update
wiki-internal links.

>> And finally, the following pages are about using Trac and would go into
>> trac/ (it's possible that Trac wouldn't like us renaming some of its
>> pages, but I guess we'll find out):
>
> Several parts of the Trac interface that you would be unable to modify
> link to these pages.  (Most notably, there is a link to
> ‘WikiFormatting’ above the ‘Comment’ entry box on every ticket.)

Right, I had pages like WikiFormatting in mind when adding the comment
that Trac might not like us renaming some of its pages.  I guess we can
find out if Trac is smart enough to update these links, too.  Or we can
try using redirects for these pages, too.  If neither works, it's not
the end of the world to leave these pages where they are.

Best,
Karsten