[tor-dev] The Torouter and the DreamPlug

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Fri Jun 10 16:17:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Runa A. Sandvik <runa.sandvik at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Runa A. Sandvik <runa.sandvik at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:55 PM,  <andrew at torproject.org> wrote:
> >> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 01:56:25PM +0100, runa.sandvik at gmail.com wrote
> 2.9K bytes in 75 lines about:
> >> : The whole point with the Torouter is to allow more people to run a
> >> : bridge or a relay, so I see a web interface as something mandatory. So
> >> : yeah, we'd have to make sure that the interface is secure.
> >>
> >> Right, so we have two torouters, an expert model which is the dreamplug,
> >> and a non-expert model which is the excito.
> >>
> >> Experts use ssh and follow some instructions for configuring their
> >> device.  Plus, they get some cheap hardware to do whatever else they
> >> want to do with it.
> >
> > Do you think we should ship the plugs as they are, or should we
> > re-flash and harden first?
>
> After a short discussion with Andrew on IRC, we agreed on the
> following plan; re-flash with debian, harden/lock down, install tor,
> test and ship.

 We should automate this into a single script that will do this with any
DreamPlug. Have you currently converted any of the DreamPlug devices to
Debian? If so, what's the process and where is it documented? If not, how
shall we proceed with it? I'll have my DreamPlug next week and I'm happy to
experiment.

All the best,
Jake