[tor-dev] Too many cooks spoil the broth---or: how about we clean up the wiki?

Karsten Loesing karsten.loesing at gmx.net
Fri Jun 10 13:50:19 UTC 2011

On 6/10/11 2:03 PM, andrew at torproject.org wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:08:46PM +0200, karsten.loesing at gmx.net wrote 7.5K bytes in 279 lines about:
> : I think the main problem is that there's no obvious structure in the
> : wiki, so everyone just adds their stuff anywhere, maybe thinking that
> : someone else will move it to the right place.  The other problem is that
> : there's no such person cleaning up.
>
> You're looking at the structure as created and migrated over 8 years.
> Also see https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1939 for
> another option.  Our wiki is trying to be all things to all people, and
> is clearly failing, or at least confusing everywhere.

Interesting, I hadn't seen #1939 before.  I think having a development
status page would be great.  I might even write one at some point.  But
I think having a clearer separation between the documentation part of
the wiki and the development part would be even useful when we have such
a development status page.

> Trac search isn't very good.  Lots of people use
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TitleIndex to find their
> way around the wiki.

Yes, that's how I find stuff, too.  Unfortunately, that approach depends
very much on meaningful URLs/wiki page names.

> Most of this is going to be a "do-acracy", he/she who does the work,
> wins.  The only part to be careful with is the actual faq pages.  Those
> are heavily linked from around the world.

Which pages are that?  The ones starting with TheOnionRouter/ ?  And
should we put in redirects for those pages, at least for the next 6 or
12 months?

> I can pull up the view of our
> trac according to google's webmaster tools if you're interested.

Yes, having the Google Webmaster Tools output might be useful.  Can you
make that available somewhere?

Thanks,
Karsten