[tor-dev] Too many cooks spoil the broth---or: how about we clean up the wiki?

Karsten Loesing karsten.loesing at gmx.net
Fri Jun 10 10:08:46 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

<rant>Today I looked at our wiki to add roadmaps for some products and
realized what a mess the wiki is.  This wasn't obvious to me, because I
stopped using the wiki long ago, well, because it was such a mess.  But
boy, it has become worse!</rant>

I think the main problem is that there's no obvious structure in the
wiki, so everyone just adds their stuff anywhere, maybe thinking that
someone else will move it to the right place.  The other problem is that
there's no such person cleaning up.

Here's my plan: I'd like to rename (possibly a lot of) wiki pages so
that the naming scheme implies a kind of wiki structure.  I'd also add a
page saying where stuff should go, and we'll beat up everyone not
adhering to the structure in a joint effort.

By the way, what happens if we rename wiki pages?  I guess Trac will
update all internal links, but external links (e.g., from the website)
will be broken?  We could fix our own website, but other websites would
still be broken.  How bad would that be?

Here's a suggested naming scheme.  In this scheme, there are three
top-level directories (or rather, page prefixes):

 - doc/ contains all documentation for Tor users, relay operators, and
the community in general.  This is the stuff that people would usually
expect in a wiki.

 - org/ contains deliverables promised to our sponsors, meeting plans,
product roadmaps, project progress, etc.  This stuff is in the wiki to
make Tor development as transparent as possible.  In theory,
non-developers wouldn't require write permissions to these pages.

 - trac/ contains Trac's own documentation that it generously dumped
into our Tor wiki.  In theory, nobody would require write permissions to
these pages.

I'll go through the existing wiki pages and say where they should go.

The following pages would move to doc/ (e.g., "DNS Hijacking" would
become "doc/DNS Hijacking"):

DNS Hijacking
HTTPSEverywhere/SSLObservatorySubmission
ImportantGoogleChromeBugs
OnionCat
TorALaymansGuide
TorFAQUnanswered
TorInChroot
TorToggle
UsingTorWithVservers
badRelays
badRelays/trotskyIps
talks
talks/MoscowState2010
TheOnionRouter
TheOnionRouter/AnonymousPublicSpeech
TheOnionRouter/BIND
TheOnionRouter/BandwidthLimitChangeController
TheOnionRouter/BlockNonTorTrafficDebian
TheOnionRouter/BlockingDiagnostics
TheOnionRouter/BlockingIrc
TheOnionRouter/CentralizedTorServer
TheOnionRouter/ConnectOverSSH
TheOnionRouter/ContestEntries
TheOnionRouter/ContestEntries/DesignFeedback
TheOnionRouter/CronBandwidthLimit
TheOnionRouter/DebianLive
TheOnionRouter/EmbeddedTips
TheOnionRouter/ExitEnclave
TheOnionRouter/FAQUnanswered
TheOnionRouter/FireFoxTorPerf
TheOnionRouter/FirefoxRemoteDNS
TheOnionRouter/GoodBadISPs
TheOnionRouter/Gsoc2009
TheOnionRouter/Gsoc2009/ThandyTorrents
TheOnionRouter/HiddenServiceNames
TheOnionRouter/HowTo_post_on_or-talk_mailinglist
TheOnionRouter/LegalStuff
TheOnionRouter/LiveCDBestPractices
TheOnionRouter/MacOSXUpgradeToTrunk
TheOnionRouter/OpenbsdChrootedTor
TheOnionRouter/OpenbsdChrootedTorControlScript
TheOnionRouter/OpenbsdChrootedTorScript
TheOnionRouter/OperationalSecurity
TheOnionRouter/Portable_Tor
TheOnionRouter/PreventingDnsLeaksInTor
TheOnionRouter/Preventing_Tor_DNS_Leaks
TheOnionRouter/PrivoxyConfig
TheOnionRouter/PrivoxyPatches
TheOnionRouter/Publicfile
TheOnionRouter/ReducedExitPolicy
TheOnionRouter/RemailingAndTor
TheOnionRouter/RunTwoPrivoxys
TheOnionRouter/SshPortForwardedTor
TheOnionRouter/SummerOfCode
TheOnionRouter/SupportPrograms
TheOnionRouter/SupportPrograms/Polipo
TheOnionRouter/TSocksPatches
TheOnionRouter/TermsObserved
TheOnionRouter/TorAbuseTemplates
TheOnionRouter/TorExitNodeHowto
TheOnionRouter/TorGuideUniversities
TheOnionRouter/TorInChroot
TheOnionRouter/TorInChroot-new
TheOnionRouter/TorInTheMedia
TheOnionRouter/TorMirror
TheOnionRouter/TorOnDebian/PackagesForArchitectures
TheOnionRouter/TorShirt
TheOnionRouter/TorWin32TorWS
TheOnionRouter/TorALaymansGuide
TheOnionRouter/TorDNSExitList
TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ
TheOnionRouter/TorIPCOP
TheOnionRouter/TorifyHOWTO
TheOnionRouter/TorifyHOWTO/EMail
TheOnionRouter/TorifyHOWTO/FTP
TheOnionRouter/TorifyHOWTO/InstantMessaging
TheOnionRouter/TorifyHOWTO/IrcSilc
TheOnionRouter/TorifyHOWTO/Misc
TheOnionRouter/TorifyHOWTO/Misc/Putty
TheOnionRouter/TorifyHOWTO/Putty
TheOnionRouter/TorifyHOWTO/SystracePolicy
TheOnionRouter/TorifyHOWTO/WebBrowsers
TheOnionRouter/Torouter
TheOnionRouter/Torouter_notes
TheOnionRouter/Torwin32DNS
TheOnionRouter/Transocks
TheOnionRouter/TransocksifyingTor
TheOnionRouter/TransparentProxy
TheOnionRouter/VMWareThroughTor
TheOnionRouter/VerifyingSignatures
TheOnionRouter/WebProxyHowto
TheOnionRouter/Wikipedia
TheOnionRouter/WindowsBufferProblems
CodingForTor
CodingForTor/CodingInC
CodingForTor/CodingInR
CodingForTor/LoggingAndDocumentation
CodingInC
CoreTorTracUsers
build
build/AddingBuildSlaves
build/BuildSignoff
build/ListOfPackages
dev/HowToReleaseTor
dev/SupportPolicy
dev/SupportPolicy_v2

The following pages would move to org/meetings/:

2010TorAnnualDevMeeting
2011MiniDevMeeting
2011MiniDevMeeting/notes
2011StockholmHackfest
2011TorAnnualDevMeeting

The product roadmaps that are not there yet would go into org/roadmaps/.

Everything related to project management would go into org/projects/:

TorAgileProcess
projects/HowWeDoProjectManagement
projects/ProjMgt/SetUpProjectMgt
Products
projects/ProductsandAssignments
projects
projects/2009FinancialandComplianceAudit
projects/BridgeDB
projects/CalculateDirreqShares
projects/EmailAutoResponder
projects/ExperimentalBridgeBundles
projects/Infrastructure
projects/Metrics
projects/Metrics/DesignAndDeployDescriptorDatabase
projects/Metrics/ImproveMetricsPortal
projects/Metrics/PublishMetricsDataAndTools
projects/Metrics/SafelyCountClients
projects/Thandy
projects/Tor
projects/TorBrowserBundle
projects/TorBrowserBundle/Alpha
projects/TorBrowserBundle/OSX
projects/TorBrowserBundle/OSX/Security
projects/TorBulkExitlist
projects/TorButton
projects/TorCheck
projects/TorFlow
projects/TorStatus
projects/Tor/MultithreadedCrypto
projects/Weather
projects/arm
projects/mirror
projects/mirror/torrent
projects/vidalia

The deliverables promised to our sponsors would go into org/sponsors/:

sponsors
sponsors/SponsorA
sponsors/SponsorB
sponsors/SponsorD
sponsors/SponsorD/December2010
sponsors/SponsorD/June2011
sponsors/SponsorD/March2011
sponsors/SponsorD/September2010
sponsors/SponsorE
sponsors/SponsorE/PhaseOne
sponsors/SponsorF
sponsors/SponsorF/Year1

And finally, the following pages are about using Trac and would go into
trac/ (it's possible that Trac wouldn't like us renaming some of its
pages, but I guess we'll find out):

InterTrac
InterWiki
RecentChanges
TitleIndex
TracAccessibility
TracAdmin
TracBackup
TracBrowser
TracCgi
TracChangeset
TracEnvironment
TracFastCgi
TracFineGrainedPermissions
TracGuide
TracImport
TracIni
TracInstall
TracInterfaceCustomization
TracLinks
TracLogging
TracModPython
TracModWSGI
TracNavigation
TracNotification
TracPermissions
TracPlugins
TracQuery
TracReports
TracRevisionLog
TracRoadmap
TracRss
TracSearch
TracStandalone
TracSupport
TracSyntaxColoring
TracTickets
TracTicketsCustomFields
TracTimeline
TracUnicode
TracUpgrade
TracWiki
TracWorkflow
WikiDeletePage
WikiFormatting
WikiHtml
WikiMacros
WikiNewPage
WikiPageNames
WikiProcessors
WikiRestructuredText
WikiRestructuredTextLinks
WikiStart

That's it.  I realize there are lots of cooks on this list, so I expect
there will be feedback.

Thanks,
Karsten