[tor-dev] The Torouter and the DreamPlug

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Jun 9 20:04:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Ian Goldberg <iang at cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 07:50:09PM +0000, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> > > Sounds like a plan. I prefer bridge by default, but we can discuss that
> > > later.
> > >
> > What's the rational there? While we certainly need more bridges, I'd like
> > see an increase in relays and encourage more Friend of Friend bridge
> > sharing. We should include a bunch of common configs and make it easy to
> > setup. Also, a public relay will be much easier to help with in terms of
> > setup, I suspect.
>
> Doesn't "make random people into public (middle-only) relays" have the
> (well maybe not "problem", but "issue"?) that when GFW blocks them, they
> (the random people who bought an Excito/etc.) won't be able to connect
> to anything in .cn any more?  Although I don't _often_ connect to .cn
> domains, it seems unfortunate to effectively auto-ban these people from
> Chinese websites.

Yes, it might. It depends on which part of the GFW you're connecting
through. Also, I believe the same is true for public bridge nodes as well.
The main difference is that the bridges may not be as useful as the relays
and I suspect they will also be less easy to troubleshoot
for reach-ability reasons.

In an ideal world, we'll write an enumeration of issues or benefits that
arise from the different modes of helping.

All the best,
Jake