[tor-dev] The Torouter and the DreamPlug

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Jun 8 15:28:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Andrew Lewman <andrew at torproject.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 15:36:45 -0700
> Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
>
> > > We would also need a way for users to easily change the hashed
> > > password. I can't remember if this is a feature that is already
> > > present in Vidalia.
> > Yes, we do need a way to change the password. We will also need a way
> > to reset the password if the user is locked out of the control port. I
> > generally think that this means we'll need a web UI... :-)
>
> It's built into vidalia.  Just click Advanced and you can change the
> password all you want.

Sure, I think that's good for a local socket but not going to help with
remote control ports or a locked out password.

> > I think the best thing is to make an autoconfiguring device with a
> > web UI; we can easily rate limit Tor to something reasonable and make
> > it a middle node by default. In all cases it stands alone and simply
> > plugging it into a wall (power/ethernet) will provide more capacity
> > to the network if the OR port is reachable (ala tor-fw-helper + tor +
> > init.d scripts to start Tor on boot).
>
> Most of me wants to wait for the freedombox people to derive their web
> interface, and then we can plug tor into it.  I realize this could be
> years at the current rate of progress. If someone whips up a quick
> interface that isn't a security nightmare, we could use that until
> freedombox has something tangible.

I generally agree.

> I suggest we ship the dreamplug with cli access only for those who want
> a cheap device to be a bridge or relay.

That seems reasonable.

> I suggest we ship the excito with the web ui as the easy to use
> option.

How's that web UI doing?

> In either case, we need to start testing, not keep thinking about what
> we could do.  We're going to get a flood of feedback from actual people
> testing the excito or dreamplug.

I agree. My excito is pushing a lot of data without any trouble, my
dreamplug hasn't arrived.

I was thinking that we should talk about clocks. I think djb solved the main
problem of syncing clocks a while ago:
http://cr.yp.to/clockspeed.html

I think we should consider this as something we push for any embedded system
with Tor.

All the best,
Jake