[tor-dev] The Torouter and the DreamPlug

Runa A. Sandvik runa.sandvik at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 20:08:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Robert Ransom <rransom.8774 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 06:00:48 -0400
> Nathan Freitas <nathan at freitas.net> wrote:
>
>> On 05/29/2011 07:21 PM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
>> > Or perhaps we can just turn Tor on by default, ship tor-fw-helper and write
>> > a basic status of Tor out to a static html file?
>>
>> Why not allow Vidalia running from a LAN-based computer to control it?
>> The control port could autogenerate from the MAC address.
>
> Vidalia is not designed to control or configure a Tor process that it
> did not start.

I have tested this, and it works just fine. The question is; are we
happy with something that works, even if it's being used in a way that
it was not designed for?

If the answer is yes; We can ship plugs with Tor installed and
configured (bridge by default, perhaps), and users can connect to the
Tor process using Vidalia on their home computer. Users will then be
able to configure Tor as a bridge, non-exit relay and exit relay, and
we don't have to spend lots of time creating a web interface.

--
Runa A. Sandvik