[tor-dev] The Torouter and the DreamPlug

Tomas Touceda chiiph at gentoo.org
Thu Jun 2 11:29:50 UTC 2011

On 03:41 Thu 02 Jun     , Robert Ransom wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 06:00:48 -0400
> Nathan Freitas <nathan at freitas.net> wrote:
>
> > On 05/29/2011 07:21 PM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> > > Or perhaps we can just turn Tor on by default, ship tor-fw-helper and write
> > > a basic status of Tor out to a static html file?
> >
> > Why not allow Vidalia running from a LAN-based computer to control it?
> > The control port could autogenerate from the MAC address.
>
> Vidalia is not designed to control or configure a Tor process that it
> did not start.

Actually, it is. It may not be perfect (yet :) ), but I use it like that
every day. Although I haven't tested it controlling a Tor instance on
another host.

But either way, if the device already has a webui, controlling just Tor
from another app seems not too practical.

--
Tomas Touceda
Gentoo Developer - Qt, Scheme, Lisp