[tor-dev] [Patch] common/procmon.c

Robert Ransom rransom.8774 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 06:00:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, 31 May 2011 23:12:09 +0200
Gisle Vanem <gvanem at broadpark.no> wrote:

> I've been staring at this file for some time trying to find the elusive
> compile-error (MingW-gcc v4.50) on Win_XP). The bug was a missing
> comma (!) and a typo ('err_msg' at line 277 changed to 'err_msg').
>
> I've also changed the format for 'err_code' at line 293 into a "%ld" to suppress
> a warning. How did this go unnoticed for ~1 month?

The short answer to that is that it is a PITA to compile Tor on
Windows, and the process starts with installing an unsigned binary
package that automatically downloads several other unsigned binary
packages.  I (the person that wrote that broken code) didn't have a
compilation environment set up to build Tor for Windows, and didn't
want to use the instructions I was given to set one up.  Sorry about
the bug, and thanks for finding and fixing it!

I'm setting up a cross-compiler now, and I'll compile OpenSSL and
libevent for Windows Real Soon Now, so this shouldn't happen again.

Robert Ransom