Thoughts on https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/dev/SupportPolicy

Erinn Clark erinn at torproject.org
Tue Jan 25 09:09:02 UTC 2011

* Andrew Lewman <andrew at torproject.org> [2010:11:23 00:06 -0500]:
> As for packages, I suggest we support the current release of an OS plus
> two previous versions.  We could rely upon the OS versions of
> libraries rather than bundle our own.  In an optimal world, we ship our
> own libraries for Tor rather than relying upon various vendors to keep
> up to date.  This lets us control features and some part of an operating
> environment for tor.  I'm primarily thinking of zlib, openssl, and
> libevent 1 or 2 for inclusion here.  My idea of an optimal world may
> need thandy implemented to make it a reality.

I think supporting multiple versions back is a laudable goal, and one we should
consider, but right now it's not feasible (for me, anyway, as the primary
packager with the current infrastructure). The following is my initial sketch
of the package support policy, which is an accurate snapshot of what's
currently out there (specifically for Tor and Vidalia):

For virtually all operating systems and distributions, we support the same
versions the distributors themselves support. In many cases this means the
current and previous version, with exceptions made for long-term releases, as
in the case of Ubuntu. If the OS is too old to build packages without a lot of
effort, it is also unsupported, but currently this mainly affects Vidalia.

Linux
---------
Tor:
Centos 4.8, Centos 5
Fedora 13, 14
OpenSuSE 11
Debian (oldstable, stable, testing, and unstable)
Ubuntu (dapper, hardy, intrepid, jaunty, karmic, lucid, maverick)

Vidalia:
Fedora 13, 14
OpenSuSE 11
Debian (stable, testing, and unstable)
Ubuntu (intrepid, jaunty, karmic, lucid, maverick)

OS X
---------
10.6
10.5
10.4 is marginally supported for as long as packages will build without
difficulty, but probably not for more than a year from today.  Its last
security update was in September 2009. (Safari was updated for Tiger as
recently as November 2010, however.)

Windows
---------
WinXP to Windows 7

This can be more fully fleshed out probably. Feedback is welcome.