(FWD) Re: Proposal 171 (revised): Separate streams across circuits by connection metadata

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Jan 21 22:22:55 UTC 2011

[Forwarding because Nikita isn't subscribed at this address. -RD]

----- Forwarded message from owner-or-dev at freehaven.net -----

From: Nikita Borisov <nikita at illinois.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:00:44 -0600
Subject: Re: Proposal 171 (revised): Separate streams across circuits by
 connection metadata
To: or-dev at freehaven.net

I have a suggestion: streams that have been explicitly designated for
isolation by the use of different ports or usernames should also use a
different set of guard nodes.  My thinking is that there have been
attacks proposed in the past that can profile the set of guard nodes
used by a client over time, as long as it's possible to externally
link the connections (e.g., the connections contain a pseudonymous
username in the cleartext).  If these attacks are used to profile two
sets of externally linkable connections (i.e., two pseudonyms) and
they come up with the same set of guards, that is a pretty strong
indication that the pseudonyms are in fact linked to each other.  If I
used a different port to separate the two pseudonyms, however, and Tor
used a different guard set for each, this would not be a problem.
Conversely, the advantage of using (the same set of) guard nodes
disappears for streams that are not externally linkable, since the
guards do not change the overall probability that each individual
stream will be compromised.

(I think it's harder to make the case that you want to do this based
on implicit session indicators, since there's a chance that those
streams will still be somehow linked, particularly if the indicators
are short-lived, such as PIDs or source ports.)

Thanks,
- Nikita

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Nick Mathewson <nickm at torproject.org> wrot=
e:
> Hi, all. =A0I'm trying to get the proposal-171 discussion settled down a
> bit more, so I revised the proposal to try to say more like what I
> think it should say. =A0Here goes:
>

> Filename: 171-separate-streams.txt
> Title: Separate streams across circuits by connection metadata
> Author: Robert Hogan, Jacob Appelbaum, Damon McCoy, Nick Mathewson
> Created: 21-Oct-2008
> Modified: 7-Dec-2010

> =A0We propose a new set of options to isolate unrelated streams from one
> =A0another, putting them on separate circuits so that semantically
> =A0unrelated traffic is not inadvertently made linkable.
>
> Motivation:
>
> =A0Currently, Tor attaches regular streams (that is, ones not carrying
> =A0rendezvous or directory traffic) to circuits based only on whether Tor
> =A0circuit's current exit node supports the destination, and whether the
> =A0circuit has been dirty (that is, in use) for too long.
>
> =A0This means that traffic that would otherwise be unrelated sometimes
> =A0gets sent over the same circuit, allowing the exit node to link such
> =A0streams with certainty, and allowing other parties to link such
> =A0streams probabilistically.
>
> =A0Older versions of onion routing tried to address this problem by
> =A0sending every stream over a separate circuit; performance issues made
> =A0this unfeasible. Moreover, in the presence of a localized adversary,
> =A0separating streams by circuits increases the odds that, for any given
> =A0linked set of streams, at least one will go over a compromised
> =A0circuit.
>
> =A0Therefore we ought to look for ways to allow streams that ought to be
> =A0linked to travel over a single circuit, while keeping streams that
> =A0ought not be linked isolated to separate circuits.

> =A0Let's call a series of inherently-linked streams (like a set of
> =A0streams downloading objects from the same webpage, or a browsing
> =A0session where the user requests several related webpages) a "Session".
>
> =A0"Sessions" are a necessarily a fuzzy concept. =A0While users typically
> =A0consider some activities as wholly unrelated to each other ("My IM
> =A0session has nothing to do with my web browsing!"), the boundaries
> =A0between activities are sometimes hard to determine. =A0If I'm reading
> =A0lolcats in one browser tab and reading about treatments for an
> =A0embarrassing disease in another, those are probably separate sessions.
> =A0If I search for a forum, log in, read it for a while, and post a few
> =A0messages on unrelated topics, that's probably all the same session.
>
> =A0So with the proviso that no automated process can identify sessions
> =A0100% accurately, let's see which options we have available.
>
> =A0Generally, all the streams on a session come from a single
> =A0application. =A0Unfortunately, isolating streams by application
> =A0automatically isn't feasible, given the lack of any nice
> [...]

--=20
Nikita Borisov - http://hatswitch.org/~nikita/
Assistant Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Tel: (217) 903-4401, Office: 460 CSL

----- End forwarded message -----