IPV6 address support on exit nodes

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Wed Feb 9 11:08:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Nick Mathewson wrote:

Hey,

> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 5:15 AM, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at unfix.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> Hopefully I will be able to invest a bit more time on this work in the
>> coming week and come up with a beta patch for other people to try and
>> then join my test network so that it can all be tested on a larger
>> scale. (The test network is not using the real tor network and thus
>> changes to the code work without affecting the live network ;)
>> Work is busy though, thus that is holding me off for a bit.
>
> Neat!  I am looking forward to seeing your code and spec changes.  (Do
> you have spec changes here, or are you just "winging it"
> protocolwise?)  Even if you don't have a chance to finish soon, it
> might be a good idea (depending on the state of stuff) to use your
> patches as a starting-off point rather than trying to implement IPv6
> from scratch.

Having known about the changes I have been waiting for quite a while
to see them;-) I'd be happy to test patches.  I am really less interested
in the relay things currently and ideally that's a different matter to the
other two: proxy and exit node.

When it comes to AAAA lookups and what to do, I'd do whatever the
resovler on the host does. I talked to ayourtch last weekend.  Some
people have plans to implement draft-wing-v6ops-happy-eyeballs-ipv6
but I think we'll still see adjustments to the draft.  It will be
something that can be adopted easily at any later time on the exit
node (again ignoring any relay stuff for now where I'd hope it'd never
matter actually).

/bz

          Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.