IPV6 address support on exit nodes

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Fri Feb 4 15:55:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Paulo Roberto <betobrandao at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> My name is Beto and I'm an undergraduate student and I wish to do my
> course's final project based on Tor. I have interest in work with the
> session g of "Other conding and Design Ideas" of the volunteer page.
> Add IPV6 support for destination address on exit nodes. I had some
> Unix Programming and network skills.
> I would like some directions where to start and to know what you
> really expect in the end.

I'd have a start by looking at proposal 117 at

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/doc/spec/proposals/117-ipv6-exits.txt

It's a few years old, but it's still mostly right, and its unanswered
questions are still in need of answers.  It assumes that you've read
the tor specification at

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/doc/spec/tor-spec.txt

To get started with the Tor code itself here, I'd suggest having a
look at how exit nodes behave on getting a "begin" cell (the function
connection_exit_begin_conn()) , and how clients behave when they get a
new stream to tunnel (look for functions that call
connection_ap_handshake_send_begin(), functions that call those, and
so on).  If you want to chat and ask questions about the code in
realtime, try the #tor-dev channel on irc.oftc.net.

cheers,
--
Nick Mathewson