[tor-dev] Is Taking Checksum of Packet Payloads a Vulnerability?

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Mon Dec 19 16:08:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Paul Syverson
<syverson at itd.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
>                                                              Onions, per
> se, were never used in Tor (even though Tor's onion routing ;>)

As long as we're doing historical notes, let me amend that to "onions,
per se, were never used in any *released version* of Tor."  It looks
like I implemented the  backend for the onionskin-based circuit
handshake back in May 2003 (svn revision 259, git commit 1eeb3f65fc),
which predates any version of Tor we ever put out a public tarball
for.  So Tor *did* once use onions for circuit setup; just not any Tor
that ever got a public release.

peace,
--
Nick