[tor-dev] Is Taking Checksum of Packet Payloads a Vulnerability?

Paul Syverson syverson at itd.nrl.navy.mil
Mon Dec 19 13:54:40 UTC 2011

Dave is correct. This attack will not work for the reaseons he said.

Just a minor quibble: Dave is not quite correct about the origins of
'onion routing'. We called it that because of a data structure that we
used in the original system (and shared by our second generation
system and also ZKS Freedom and some others, given an abstract enough
description). This data structure does not exist in Tor, which instead
uses "onion skins". The original design created a layered public-key
structure: each layer contained the address of the next hop and
material sufficient to create the symmetric keys that would be used to
encrypt and decrypt data passing on the established circuit. There was
nothing but layers, with no message or data in the middle---just like
an onion. Anything that emerged from the exit node headed for Bob
would not be encrypted by the onion that built the circuit; it would
be encrypted by the symmetric keys that were distributed via the
onion.  It's true that this is encryption is layered, but there is
something at the middle of it, the traffic to be sent to Bob. We did
sometimes call this 'data onion' because of the layering, but we
called it 'onion routing' because of the circuit-creating data
structure being comprised of nothing but layers.  Tor uses onion
skins, which roughly are one-layer onions, to build circuits. Among
other things, this gives Tor's traffic forward secrecty.  Onions, per
se, were never used in Tor (even though Tor's onion routing ;>)

HTH,
Paul