[tor-dev] Survey on Tor Trac usage and how you manage your tasks

Thomas S. Benjamin tomb at acm.org
Mon Aug 29 17:29:26 UTC 2011

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/report/8

> 1.2 What are typical custom queries that you run?

I sometimes search on a tag if one is being used for a particular
multi-ticket task.

> 1.3 How do you use milestones and roadmaps?

not.

> 1.4 Are you subscribed to tor-bugs and/or tor-wiki-changes, and how do
> you use the mails sent to these lists?

I am not.

> 1.5 Which wiki pages do you read/edit most often?

Pages that have to do with internal processes.

> 1.6 How do you search for wiki pages?

search window inside wiki.

> 1.9 How relevant are the following ticket fields for you?
>
> 1.9.1 Reported by
>
> 1.9.2 Owned by

Important

> 1.9.3 Priority

Important

> 1.9.4 Milestone

Important

> 1.9.5 Component
>
> 1.9.6 Version
>
> 1.9.7 Keywords
>
> 1.9.8 Cc
>
> 1.9.9 Parent ID

Important

> 1.9.10 Points
>
> 1.9.11 Actual Points
>
> 1.10 How relevant are the following ticket statuses for you?

All of those statuses are relevant to me.

> 2.1 How do you decide what to work on, both when fixing bugs or when
> implementing new features?

Discussion with the people working on the most closely related things.

> 2.2 How do you keep track of what things you're supposed to do for
> sponsors and for when?

In order:  A personal list, trac, the master list of sponsor goals on the wiki.

> 2.4 How do you coordinate working together with someone on something?

I really do best coordinating over private email, which I am still
working on changing because I perceive that it doesn't work well with
how everyone else coordinates.  I've been trying to find a balance
between day to day coordination in private, and then making sure that
major milestones get communicated to a list.  I have started using
this approach as with the GSoC coordination in the latter portion of
the summer.

> 2.5 How do you learn who you could work together with on something?

Face to face interaction.  Again, I know this is something I have to
change because it doesn't work well in the context of Tor.

--
Sincerely Yours,
              ---Thomas S. Benjamin