[tor-dev] Survey on Tor Trac usage and how you manage your tasks

Sean Robinson seankrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 00:05:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Mike Perry <mikeperry at fscked.org> wrote:
> Thus spake Sean Robinson (seankrobinson at gmail.com):
>
>> > 1.10 How relevant are the following ticket statuses for you?
>> >
>> > 1.10.1 accepted
>> > 1.10.2 assigned
>>
>> Not at all
>>
>> > 1.10.3 closed
>> > 1.10.4 needs_information
>> > 1.10.5 needs_review
>> > 1.10.6 new
>> > 1.10.7 reopened
>>
>> Important
>
> Out of curiosity, what makes having both "new" and "reopened"
> useful?
>
> I find the numerous ticket statuses to be a pain when using the query
> interface, and in my mind "assigned", "accepted", "new", and
> "reopened" basically all mean the same thing.

  I like them as a way to track where the ticket is in its lifetime.
The difference between "new" and "reopened" for me is whether this is
a brand new ticket or a continuing problem.  "Reopened", to me, is
also a sign of disagreement between the reporter and the maintainer
about the value or status of the ticket.

  Yes, I agree that "assigned", "accepted", and "new" seem too
fine-grained in their meaning to an external audience.  I suppose
these might be useful in a hierarchically staffed project where one
assigns/tracks tickets that one does not work on oneself.  As an
outsider to the TOR project, I don't know whether these make sense
here.

--
Sean Robinson