[tor-dev] Orbot's inclusion of Privoxy

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Sat Apr 16 13:11:06 UTC 2011

Thanks for the note, Fabian.

On 04/16/2011 06:24 AM, Fabian Keil wrote:
> This seems to be (or based on) Privoxy 3.0.12 released in 2009.
> What's the rationale for not using a more recent version?

At this point, that is the latest version we have successfully
cross-compiled for Android. We are working on updating our build process
to the new Android Native Dev Kit cross-compiler, and updating all
relevant components.

I will admit that our focus on keep bundled versions current have been
more focused on Tor, than on Privoxy. I will make sure that we keep as
close tabs on that component, as well.

We have not included the binary files in the repo historically. However,
there have been a number of Android app/UI developers who wished to
contribute code there, but were unable to setup the entire OS build
chain on their Mac or Windows machines, that is required to build the C
binaries. If we provide them pre-built binaries for dev purposes, it
increases the likelihood we will have more contributors.

> Is this vanilla Privoxy or are there any custom patches?

It is vanilla, save for one setting:
export ac_cv_func_setpgrp_void=yes

as documented here:
https://svn.torproject.org/svn/projects/android/trunk/Orbot/BUILD

> I get the impression that you are currently distributing the
> Privoxy binary as part of Orbot without even mentioning the
> license. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

We mention the inclusion in our app About screen, but you are current
that our inclusion is not mentioned in the license file or screens. This
is an unfortunate oversight, that I will address today.

Best,
 Nathan