[tor-dev] Improved circuit-setup protocol [was: Re: Designing and implementing improved circuit-setup protocol [was: GSoC 2011]]

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Thu Apr 7 22:10:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Ian Goldberg <iang at cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
 [...]
> The phrase that jumps to mind is, "Danger Will Robinson!".  ;-)  If
> we're redesigning the AKE (authenticated key agreement) bits, we
> probably shouldn't just make up our own stuff.

Indeed!  I am hoping that by threatening to do so, I can get the
cryptographers on the list to take an interest and tell us what to do
instead. ;)

(For background on why we would want to do crypto migration at atll,
see https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/proposals/ideas/xxx-crypto-migration.txt
, for which there was never really enough comment.  See also proposal
176, which is totally Made Of Crypto.)

--
Nick