[tor-dev] GSoC - Torbutton for Thunderbird

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Tue Apr 5 02:22:35 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 3:06 AM, Sukhbir Singh <sukhbir.in at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am interested in participating in Google's Summer of Code this year
> and implementing the Torbutton equivalent for Thunderbird [0].
>
> I have been discussing the project with Mike Perry and we feel that it
> is possible to implement this. The first step was removing the
> hostname Thunderbird puts in the outgoing message header, which we
> easily fixed. That gave us the initial motivation to pursue this
> further.
>
> There are a number of issue that still remain, however we feel that
> those can be easily worked out. We have put all probable solutions to
> Torbutton requirements from [1] in the attachment with this mail and
> are looking for your suggestions/ comments about this.
>
> We have not submitted an application for this to Google yet; I intend
> to do that after gauging the response towards this proposal from the
> mailing list.

Hi!  Plenty of people have wanted a good mail client for use with Tor;
this would be a fine thing to build.

Our application template is at
https://www.torproject.org/about/gsoc.html.en#Template -- of the
things it asks for, a couple of the most important are trying to
figure out what your work plan is in as much detail as possible, and
making sure that you include good coding samples to let the
organization know what you can do.

Please let us know if you've got any specific questions that we can answer.

yrs,
--
Nick