Anomos - anonymous bit torrent - using Onion Routing...

Ted Smith teddks at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 21:03:27 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-11-13 at 03:41 -0500, grarpamp wrote:
> > Nonetheless, there are other reasons why one should not use bittorrent
> > over tor, not the least of which is that it is a bandwidth hog.
>
> Why do we keep saying don't use it? That's almost an invitation
> to break the rules. Look at the lists of services out there. Bandwidth
> usage is always going up.
>
> So why not instead say, sure, use Tor for whatever you want PROVIDED
> you also help maintain equilibrium by donating some resources. Which
> in the case of Tor would be at least six times your own bandwidth use.
>
> A steep price for sure. But an accurate minumum to maintain state.
>
> What parts of Tor aren't able to scale to more users?

It's my understanding that BitTorrent is less of a bandwidth hog as it
is a connections/circuits hog. These are expensive to create and you
can't balance your BitTorrenting by hosting a high-bandwidth node
because to have 0 net effect on the network, you'd have to host a
circuit's worth of nodes for every circuit you're using for BitTorrent
connections.

Am I wrong, Tor Old Ones?