Translated manpages

Runa A. Sandvik runa.sandvik at gmail.com
Mon May 24 09:38:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:41:17AM +0200, Runa A. Sandvik wrote:
>> > Currently tor-manual-dev.wml should be the man page for Tor 0.2.2.x.
>> > You can find it in the latest git head under doc/tor.1.txt, and you
>> > can convert it to html using the combination of git and asciidoc commands
>> > you find in tor-manual-dev.wml.
>> >
>> > Currently tor-manual.wml should be the man page for Tor 0.2.1.x. Since
>> > Tor 0.2.1.x doesn't use asciidoc, you can convert doc/tor.1.in in the
>> > maint-0.2.1 git branch using man2html (as you see in tor-manual.wml).
>>
>> I noticed that they are not actually the same, even though it may look
>> that way. For the translations, I will create one tor-manual.po and
>> one tor-manual-dev.po (in addition to po files for the remaining three
>> manpages).
>
> Our translators might like us more if we don't make them duplicate a
> lot of work for these two po files, which will be mostly the same.

Yep.

> I wonder if that means we should just ask them to translate the
> tor-manual-dev one. Or I wonder if there's a way to take the strings
> and combine them into a single po file for translation. Or to have
> pootle automatically recognize when two strings in two po files got
> the same translations, and fill in the other one as a hint.

I think the best option is to translate just tor-manual-dev. It would
be possible to take the strings and combine then into a single po file
for translation, but this means that I would have to combine
tor-manual and tor-manual-dev into one manpage first. It would be
great if Pootle could automatically recognize when two strings in two
po files got the same translations, but I don't think this is going to
happen soon.

>> > A good question. I think a fine first try is to make a tor-manual.html.de
>> > and tor-manual-dev.html.de in the website root (to go with the
>> > .en ones), and then people who click on the 'Handbuch' links from
>> > torproject.org/documentation.html.de will get the German version.
>>
>> I have that working already, and the only remaining questions is what
>> we should do with the rest of the translated manpages. I guess we
>> could find a way to include them on the website, in the same way we
>> include the manpage for Tor 0.2.2.x and 0.2.1.x.
>
> Right. What exactly are "the rest of the translates manpages"? Are these
> all translations of the main tor man page, or are the other man pages
> translated too?

I figured it would be nice to have translated versions of all the
manpages: tor, tor-gencert, tor-resolve and torify.

--
Runa A. Sandvik