Bridge stability

Paul Syverson syverson at itd.nrl.navy.mil
Wed Mar 10 16:29:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 03:20:24PM +0100, Karsten Loesing wrote:

> >> Yes, we can do something like that. I assume that it'll keep my server
> >> busy for a day or two to parse all the descriptors once more. But I can
> >> do that.
> >>
> >> Instead of the secret input to the hash function, how about we
> >> concatenate bridge identity and IP address as input? Note that we
> >> don't put the bridge identity in the sanitized descriptor, but only
> >> its hash. That way we'd avoid using a secret that we'll lose or forget
> >> anyway and have something reproducible. To be precise, this is what I
> >> have in mind:
> >>
> >>   sanitized bridge identity = H(bridge identity)
> >>
> >>   sanitized IP address = H(bridge identity + IP address)[:4]
> >
> > Interesting idea. This approach clearly does leak more information:
> > if you learn the bridge identity at any point, you can guess-and-check
> > past IP addresses for the bridge.
> >
> > The next question is then: so what? Is that something we want to protect?
>
> A fine question. I don't think this is something we want to protect. My
> understanding of bridges is that they shall make it hard for an
> adversary to block the entry points to the Tor network. That means we
> shouldn't reveal current bridge IP addresses, nor bridge identities
> which can be used to learn about current and future IP addresses.
>
> But why should we care about past IP addresses of a bridge? What would
> the adversary---who learns about a bridge identity somehow---do with
> this piece of information? Tell that someone has been using Tor via this
> bridge in the past when connecting to that IP address? Is this something
> we want to protect? That would imply that it's considered a security
> feature that bridges change their IP addresses on a regular basis. What
> about bridges on static IP addresses: when an adversary learns about
> such a bridge, does that mean its past users are more screwed than the
> past users of a bridge on a dynamic IP address?

Much of our motivation for using Tor is because you don't know what
behavior you need to protect so be cautious.  So similarly and purely
speculatively, this means that bridges which are run by people who
moslty didn't want to run public nodes but wanted to help would now
have a public permanently confirmable record connected to something in
the outside world. They weren't signing up expecting to have forward
anonymity in any robust sense (at least I hope not), but without the
record if they run a bridge (say from a static IP that they hold for
an indefinite time) and then decide not to later, unless someone
recorded that bridge usage at the time there is no public record of
their participation. So it's a commitment that is less permanent hence
less scary. If at some point in the future someone finds it useful to
go through and look for IP addresses that have run bridges for
whatever currently unimagined nefarious purpose, then it's better if
that is not available. I'm not saying this trumps using hashed salted,
etc. addresses in some publicly listed directory info for any reason,
not even to compare it to the uses mentioned below. But you asked, so
I tried to come up with an answer.

-Paul

 LocalWords:  confirmible