(FWD) TLS False Start

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Jun 2 16:42:21 UTC 2010

Forwarding for Adam.

Any nice volunteer want to play with combining this with Tor?

--Roger

----- Forwarded message from Adam Langley <agl at imperialviolet.org> -----

From: Adam Langley <agl at imperialviolet.org>
To: Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu>, Nick Mathewson <nickm at freehaven.net>
Subject: TLS False Start
Delivery-Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 10:06:51 -0400

We've just published a draft[1] about a trick that we've been using in
Chrome for a while now which reduces the latency for a full TLS
handshake from two round trips to one without any server-side
modifications. I thought it might be useful for you.

The OpenSSL patch can be found at [2].

I have another trick to reduce the round trips to zero for both full
and abbreviated handshakes, but that one is still cooking. (And
precludes the possibility of EDH, which might be important to you.)

Cheers

AGL

[1] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bmoeller-tls-falsestart-00.txt
[2] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~nagendra/openssl-patches/trunk/files