CircuitBuildTimeout Management and the Pareto Distribution

Cav cav at gotadsl.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 20:36:53 UTC 2010

Hi Mike,

Thanks for a quick reply. Maybe its my warped mind that had me consider
that the management of timeouts (sliding the timeout up and down - as it
appears in the logs) would affect the distribution of timeouts and
therefore the pareto distribution around them.

I will admit to experimenting with smaller values of
CBT_DEFAULT_QUANTILE_CUTOFF. These lead to 'peaks' in the timeout
distribution. The smaller the value, the tighter these 'peaks' seem to be.

I assumed from this that as the timeout is moved up and time from the
management code, that these islands of circuit build timeouts would
appear around the current timeout values.

I admit this could be conjecture and speculation, apart from the build
timeouts I see in the state file.

With kind regards,
Cav Edwards