Squeezing non-relays at the entry node

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Mon Feb 22 17:25:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Mike Perry <mikeperry at fscked.org> wrote:
 [...]
> Just wanted to let you know that this will change how we need to deal
> with weighting begindir requests. Right now the check done by clients
> is to verify dir_port != 0. This means that if we want clients to be
> able to easily adapt to new directory request weights yet still handle
> reweighting properly when everyone is a dir mirror, we need to signal
> this by specifying some magic dirport number in the consensus.  That,
> or we need a different, yet backwards compatible flag in the check.
> V2Dir seems the wrong one, but it is all we have now.
>
> http://archives.seul.org/or/dev/Jan-2010/msg00019.html
>
> Thoughts?

We should (AFTER writing a proposal!) have clients accept a DirCache
flag in consensus "s" lines, and treat having the dircache flag set as
if the server had a nonzero dirport.

We don't need to actually generate the DirCache flag in a big hurry,
though, so long as clients start accepting it now.

--
Nick