IP datagram size for TLS connection to relay

Csaba Kiraly kiraly at disi.unitn.it
Sat Dec 4 06:39:22 UTC 2010

TCP (and thus TLS) in general is a stream protocol. The fact that Tor or someone else writes to it in units of 512 does not guarantee anything about how the stream is segmented into IP packets. It usually gets fragmented the same (or multiples of it), since data is flushed fast, but you can easily get other sizes when your send rate is higher or some if TCP's widows gets clogged.

Csaba