Arm Release 1.4.0

Damian Johnson atagar1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 06:38:26 UTC 2010

> For Linux I'm about to borrow a trick from psutil and read the
> /proc contents instead of performing ps and netstat lookups. Hopefully
> this will help.

Hi Febian. Great news, querying the proc contents works insanely well
(about 90% better):

proc          0.0031 seconds
netstat       0.0328 seconds
sockstat      0.0282 seconds
lsof          0.0537 seconds
ss            0.1127 seconds

I've also added (and tested) utilities that can be used as
replacements for ps queries, though arm isn't configured to use them
just yet. Tarballs with this improvement are available at:

http://www.atagar.com/transfer/tmp/arm_bsdTest5.tar.bz2
http://www.atagar.com/transfer/tmp/arm_bsdTest5.tar.bz2.asc

The only bad news is that this is a highly system dependent
enhancement, so this only works on Linux. Porting this to bsd or osx
would be difficult, if it's possible at all. Here's the util that's
providing the lookups:
https://svn.torproject.org/svn/arm/trunk/src/util/procTools.py

Cheers! -Damian

PS. I'm gonna need to send a thank-you note to the psutil developers.
Viva la foss libraries!