Some draft notes on migrating Tor's ciphersuites

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Sat Dec 18 05:30:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Kyle Williams
<kyle.kwilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just throwing in my two cents here.
> If there is talk about going back to the design board, and while you're
> about crypto, I was wondering if this would be a good time to also think
> about a UDP transport vs TCP.

I've got no objection, and it's not unreasonable to do any crypto
redesign with an eye to how improved protocols would play out for UDP
transports.  But they're fairly big problems, and I don't want to
force us to solve both at once, or come up with one master plan for
everything.  (See section 2.6 above. ;) )

(As an aside, I don't personally see this as a "going back to the
design board" for Tor as a whole so much as "figuring out how to
upgrade part of the original Tor design that we hadn't really put much
thought into making upgradeable when we designed it." )

yrs,
--
Nick