New passive performance metrics in Tor

Karsten Loesing karsten.loesing at gmx.net
Mon Aug 23 20:04:32 UTC 2010

Hi Robert,

On 8/22/10 9:34 PM, Robert Hogan wrote:
> On Thursday 19 August 2010 09:08:56 Karsten Loesing wrote:
>>
>> Do you have a patch that prints out a log message whenever we would add
>> cells or bytes to a counter?
>>

> Yes - see:

> and
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/hoganrobert/tor.git/shortlog/refs/heads/bug1826-
> metrics
>
> I'm hoping you can fill in the <insert metric here> bit!

Can you look at branch bug1826-metrics in my public repository,
particularly at log_unwanted_bytes() where I call the counting function?
Does that look correct to you?

>> And do you have an exit node to test the new stats code?
>>

> I can run a restrictive exit to test that the code works properly. I don't
> have an exit node that can return useful data.

Great! I didn't test my code yet other than running the unit tests. Can
you run this code (if it looks good to you) on your relay for at least
24 hours? It should write a file stats/unwanted-bytes-stats to its data
directory. If it does, we can try to find someone with the default exit
policy to run this code.

Best,
--Karsten